The short novel The Equestrienne, published by Divadlo bez domova in 2013 as Krasojazdkyňa, is a coming-of-age story of a young girl whose newly-discovered talent for trick-riding and lively imagination help her escape from the grim reality of life in a small town under communism and find friendship, but whose dreams are shattered by the advent of ruthless capitalism.
More About This Title in the Press
- “A powerful, coming of age parable” by Joshua Rees in buzz, November 2021
- Review by Sarah Hinlicky Wilson in Slovak Novels in English, August 2018
- “Book Review: The Equestrienne by Uršuľa Kovalyk” by Joseph Surtee in STORGY Magazine
- “Marta Dziurosz reviews The Equestrienne by Uršuľa Kovalyk” in Riveting Reviews (European Literature Network)
- “The Equestrienne by Uršuľa Kovalyk” by Sophie Baggot on the blog reading women writers worldwide